Thursday, January 19, 2006

Meemo! Meemo! Meemo!

After spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on advertising, dealing with dozens upon dozens of clueless focus groups, and sitting through several unbearable lunches with snooty Public Relations execs, I think I may have come up with a suitable name for these guys.


This is what I was told about the name in a slide presentation at the board meeting. "Short, cute, and utterly ridiculous! Meemo is a fresh spin on an old idea. Smart and innovative, on the cutting-edge of power and style. The very mention of Meemo will conjure up visions of an open canvas, with creative possibilities limited only by the artist's imagination. A hip, savvy title, Meemo is sure to launch your company well into the 1990's!" Then they turned the lights back on and stopped the tape recorder that was playing Van Halen's "Dreams". Needless to say, I was impressed.

Sorry everyone. Sometimes I go off on a tangent when I make myself laugh. Now I think I'm set for awhile. Meemo was some gibberish that I found floating around in my memory. It's also a play on the word "meme", in more than one of its definitions. I was going to type out a whole explanation of the idea and correlate it to this project, but I'll save us both the time and just give you the gist.

derived from the Greek word mimema, "something imitated" - often refers to a piece of information passed from one mind to another

a cultural unit (an idea or value or pattern of behavior) that is passed from one generation to another by nongenetic means (as by imitation)

The old saying "Ideas have a life of their own" clearly encapsulates the "meme about memes"

If you're ever interested, there's a very detailed and informative outline here. Just scan it.

On to the art! Drop this new & improved stencil into whatever art program you use and go to town. It's at 300 dpi, with no anti-aliasing. You can duplicate the image to a new layer (set to multiply), paint right over the bottom stencil, and the top one will hide any extra crud when the image is flattened. But you already knew that, didn't you?

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

When you're done, get rid of the black stencil part, then shrink the whole thing down to 25%. The result should provide a smooth outer edge and make all of these babies the same size. The black stencil isn't really meant to be part of the finished design. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

No comments: