Monday, October 26, 2009

Nes Game Demo, Now With Moving Platforms!

Finally, an update! I know you still care, five months later. *crickets* I just don't get the free time to tinker around with my NES game anymore. Anyway, we've got moving platforms now! Isn't that exciting?! :D They looked easy enough to implement in the tutorial, but I've muddled up my code so much by this point that I had to start from the ground up. And the math was driving me CRAZY. It's a wonder I have a working demo to show you at all. But enough about me, how was YOUR day?

Let me know what you think needs improvement, even if it's been said before. Every little bit helps. Thanks, guys! And have fun. :D

New in this update:
- Moving platforms (Yes!)
- New enemy: Slugalug
- New music: Skyway
- Spikes
- 2 way doors
- Zonked out animation
- Began improving my equations and making sense of 1500 lines of my Total Amateur Hour code

Things I want to work on:
- Improve enemy collision detection
- Stop that annoying jump when there's only 1 space to move
- Finally pick a name for the character I've had for almost 2 years. I'm thinking something like Zubby. Or Zib. Any Arabic slang term for penis will probably be fine.

11 comments:

drono said...

Super awesome. So when do I get to type in ASS when I get high score?

Cardboard Paper said...

That was awesome! Really captures the spirit of classic NES.

Now I gotta compile a list of Arabic slang terms for penis...

blushresponse said...

Love the expanded length of the levels. The jumping was fun! Having to start to run of a platform and time the jump just right, just like so many NES games. Music is great too as usual!

JoKKe-svin said...

Very nice work Mitch! Love it :) Is it a lot of code? Could you supply a link to the tutorial you mention here?

spacesick said...

thanks fellas! pizza and dr. pepper's on me.

jokke - I'm learning from the tutorials of Tonypa. I tried programming a game using the same exact tutorials 4 years ago, and gave up because I couldn't understand how to make the code do what I wanted. I guess I have more patience for the trial and error process now.

Andrew Murray said...

THAT WAS AMAZING!!!!!!! you made my day sir!

Cardboard Paper said...

I've been playing your game a LOT (AWESOME game) and encountered a funny glitch; I haven't been able to reproduce these results yet, but after I got the key, I was able to walk on the spikes without harming the main character. I went back to the beginning of the level and walked through the door and then dropped dead instantly. I already killed all the slug-a-lugs by that point, so I have no idea if this glitch made me completely invincible or not.

Anonymous said...

If you kill all the bad guys and get the key, you can walk on the spikes.

spacesick said...

thanks, andrew! you made MINE! :D

cardboard and anonymous - holy cow you guys are awesome. this is exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping people would find! I just tried it and witnessed the bug for myself. thanks so much! I'm gonna try my best to find the bit of code that's making that happen.

Cardboard Paper said...

Turns out you don't need the key to get the invincibility glitch; just kill all the bad guys and the spikes can't do anything. :-D

The Masked Crusader said...

This is great, a very nice recreation of old NES games, and I am looking forward to playing more! You could be the next Shiggy Miyamoto...

One suggestion, for my own amusement: is it possible to make the fella's eye move up when you hit UP and down when you hit DOWN? I would be very interested in just standing still and making his eye move up and down - i think I would do it every time I made a successful jump as a reward for myself. Keep on keepin on